Five tips to deal with borderline diabetes:
1) Low-carb your burger: Get rid of the bottom bun (the one free of condiments and thus flavorless) and eat the burger open faced. That one little change slashes the amount of empty carbs.
2) Don’t eat after 7 pm: It’s better for your digestion and metabolism. If you start feeling hungry and must indulge, have a healthy snack like nuts or fruit.
3) Nix the noodles in your chicken soup. Use quinoa or barley instead. Add chopped cilantro or parsley, lime juice and a little hot pepper for flavor.
4) Keep nuts in your glove compartment. Stuck in traffic and feeling hungry? High-protein nuts will keep you from stopping for junk food.
5) Choose mashed avocado, not mayo. Spread it on whole wheat bread for healthy fat, fiber and vitamins.
(written by Candy Sagon in the April/May 2017 edition of AARP)