“Age does not depend on years, but upon temperament and health. Some men are born old, and some never grow so.” – Tryon Edwards.
This statement holds true as aging is a state of mind – you are as old as you think you are!
A healthy lifestyle during your younger years will help you reap the health benefits even in golden years of life. Due to longevity and advancement in medical healthcare, many elderly people live their golden years fruitfully. These seniors also want to stay fit and live a healthy life in their twilight years. As age catches up, you require changes in your lifestyle, diet and your exercise regimen. With growing age the efficiency of various organs and body systems decline and weaken. When young, the body can cope up with stress both physical and mental, but as you grow old the realization of healthy lifestyle, exercises and regulated diet sets in. When aged, you find it difficult to perform the simplest of tasks. Practically every senior citizen is aware that exercise is extremely important to maintain a healthy body and mind. Senior citizens can start with simple exercises and do not have to necessarily do anything strenuous. Exercise and diet should complement each other for a long lasting happy life. Read on to know some senior citizen exercises.
Exercises For Senior Citizens
- Walking is one of the necessary and core exercises that a senior citizen can start with. It helps in making the body flexible and also uplifts the mood. Walking should be done on regular basis to keep your body fit and healthy.
- Yoga is very helpful in maintaining a balance between body, mind and soul. It is an old traditional form of exercise that includes breathing exercises and meditation. It helps to maintain a balance between body, mind and spirit. Senior citizens can benefit from practicing yoga every day, as it helps to control stress, high blood pressure, blood glucose levels and relaxes the body. Swimming is a very good exercise for the whole body that has many health benefits. It reduces stress, keeps you fit and is very relaxing.
- Senior citizens can also practice light weight exercises and light physical exercises like walking slowly on a treadmill, aerobics, muscle flexibility and stretching exercises.
- Aerobic exercises are good for senior citizens who want to maintain good health and physical agility. These exercises are rhythmic in nature and engage in workouts like dancing, jumping and moving steps on the beat to tone up muscles. They are extremely beneficial in improving blood circulation, reducing blood pressure, improving respiration and improving general health.
- Muscle flexibility exercises for senior citizens help in maintaining muscle elasticity and relaxation of mind. These exercises involve stretching the muscles slowly and concentrating on breathing with each movement.
- Stamina building exercises like riding, walking, stepping, cycling and swimming can help improve energy and endurance levels of senior citizens. While you plan to start this exercise, do it slowly, and work up to increase your stamina and strength. You can gradually increase the duration of the exercise depending on your tolerance and fitness of the body.
- Senior citizens can practice exercises that can be done in a sitting position. These exercises concentrate on flexibility of muscles, range of motion, and cardio. These exercises involve exercise tools like, like light weights, ball chairs and bands. They help in strengthening muscles and relaxing the mind.
- Health benefits for senior citizens can be derived not only from exercising also by maintaining a healthy diet. Only exercising will not give you optimal results, as any exercise should also include healthy, controlled and balanced diet.
Some Tips to Remember
- Exercise regularly for at least thirty minutes a day.
- Start your exercise regimen slowly and increase it gradually.
- Wear right kind of shoes and comfortable clothes.
- Consult a physician before you start any exercise. Check your medical parameters like blood pressure and sugar level regularly.
- Start by stretching and warm ups before vigorous exercise. Work on your balancing exercises, as it will help you in lowering your risk of injuries due to falling.
- Keep record of your progress and exercise sessions.
- Exercise daily.